BG

Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Moving day

On Saturday, we said goodbye to Dallas, and hello to Rockwall! It was strange leaving the apartment – it felt a little like the last day of high school. You think it will be this grand, Grease-like celebration, but you just kinda leave and that's that.

Unfortunately, the moving process was a bit stressful...


The movers (who shall remain nameless except when I provide a review on Yelp), we're supposed to show up at 10a. This was important because I only had the apartment's freight elevator from 10a to 1p (which I told the person I booked through and the dispatcher). Jon and I were packing the remaining items when I looked out the window around 8a – who do I see? The movers. The problem was that the apartment office doesn't open until 10a, and I have no idea how to work the freight elevator. I told them (as I told the person who booked our move, and the dispatcher two days prior) that I only have the freight from 10a to 1p. They left, saying they would call me back.

About 30 minutes later, I hadn't heard anything, so I called the main office. He said he would call back with an update. 30 minutes later, I called again. They said the movers went to another job, so I could expect them around 11a or 12p. I told the person on the phone that I was nervous because my freight was only available until 1p... he assured me we would be fine.

At 11a, Jon had to go to the house to meet the TV guy, so he packed up his truck and headed out. No word from the movers.

My dad called to see how everything was going. I was nervous but felt assured that the movers would show up within the hour. My dad, with excellent foresight, said that he, my brother, and mom were coming out to at least start loading the freight, knowing that my time was limited and the movers hadn't shown up yet.

At 11:30a, I called again, and was told they were close and were finishing up their previous job. I should expect them around 12p or 12:30p... Which made me more than a bit anxious - could they really move everything in 30 minutes? These guys are phenomenal, they'll get the job done, I was told.

I decided I better get the freight elevator - I was expecting the movers soon! After waiting for about 20 minutes (they were showing an apartment) I nervously asked if the freight was available after 1p, and it was! A sense of relief washed over me... no telling what we would have done if we couldn't have used the freight elevator.

Around 11:50a, my family shows up, and we start moving things to the freight. It was now close to 12:30p, and still no word from the movers. So, I decided to give them a call...

I was told they were still at the other job - turns out it took longer than they were anticipating. The person on the phone said they wouldn't be done until 1:30 or 2p, meaning they wouldn't show up until 2:30 or 3p. I wish I could have seen my face when he told me that! I knew that the person on the phone wasn't responsible, but I was so upset. I demanded they either send another crew, or give me my refund immediately.

I know some people would have flipped out, but waited until the movers showed up. My issue was that at 3p, they would have been five hours late. And what if they didn't show up? The apartment office closed at 5p, so I had to turn in my keys by then. And, what if I didn't have the freight after 1p? How were they planning on moving all our stuff? It was just ridiculous and unacceptable.

I got my refund. I called U-Haul. We moved ourselves.

Ugh, I was really looking forward to not having my family move us, and it still upsets me that they had to take their time on Saturday to do so... But, (silver lining), we saved at least $400 dollars, the freight was available, we didn't have too much stuff, and we got everything moved by 5p. For that, I'm thankful.

To end on a good note, here are some moving photos!





-T

No comments:

Post a Comment