BG

Friday, April 11, 2014

Front yard updates

Now that we've had our trees pruned, the rest of the yard needed work. So much so that our HOA sent me a notice... *hangs head in shame* To be fair, the weather has been all over the place, so it has been hard to get out there and clean things up. But with the lovely weather we had yesterday, I knew I had to do something!

I (again) recruited my wonderful mother and we got to work.

Here are some before pictures...





1. Dead/dying plants. We have four gardenias (which smell awesome), but just don't seem to be placed properly and aren't thriving. There are also three unknown plants (I think Mexican Heather) in front of our Chinese Pistache tree that just look terrible.
2. Daffodils... daffodils everywhere! These are cute little spring flowers, but they are spread all over our front yard and don't have a set area to flourish.
3. A hole... it looked like one of the Hawthorne shrubs died at some point and was never replaced.
4. Sage tree in a weird place. This has nice purple flowers when it blooms, but it just looked out of place and too scraggly.

PS, don't look at the grass... that is a major work in progress.

We went to Covington Nursery first and purchased a handful of plants - Limemound Spirea, Lantana, and one of my favorite perennials, Lamb's Ear.


Then off to Home Depot for mulch and to find a Hawthorne to fill in the hole in the front.

The next five hours were spent raking, cleaning, digging, placing plants, etc. But the end result is more than I could have hoped for - I think it looks great!

Left side yard:
1) Removed dead/dying plants
2) Added Spirea, baby Lantana, and lamb's ear
3) Repositioned Daffodils (other side of the yard)
4) Added cedar mulch
5) Made plans for a small path (darker area through the bed)

Right side yard:
1) Removed dead/dying plants
2) Added Spirea, baby Lantana, and baby Hawthorne
3) Removed sage tree
4) Repositioned Daffodils to fill in area where sage was removed
5) Added cedar mulch


I can't wait for things to start growing in and I am so thrilled with how it turned out!

-T

No comments:

Post a Comment