These stools (from Target) needed something to help them pop a bit more. Jon and I don't use them very often, but they reside in our main living room, so I wanted to jazz them up a bit.
I only painted the outside rim of the top seat. Since chalk paint isn't super durable, I didn't want it rubbing off on clothes or scratching and leaving the stools looking worn and sad.
The first coat looked like pea soup, so I kept adding paint until the color was more saturated. These took three total coats.
After the paint dried, I finished it off by buffing on two coats of finishing wax (this). Hooray for a quick update!